Published on: December 2, 2017
The California Science Teachers Association (CSTA),the Nevada State Science Teachers Association (NSSTA) , the Washington Science Teachers Association (WSTA) and the Oregon Science Teachers Association (OSTA) have co-authored a white paper on priority features of NGSS instructional materials.
This is the first time our states have collaborated to convey a common vision on an issue of great importance for the implementation of the NGSS.
In order to support the complete vision of the NGSS, strong K-12 instructional materials will be required to help teachers grasp the paradigm shifts found in the Framework for K-12 Science Education (NRC, 2012).
In addition to the work our committee did on the priority features that were identified in the white paper, the Nevada State Science Teachers Association (NSSTA) has place the white paper “Priority Features of NGSS-Aligned Instructional Materials” in the hands of our state science supervisor and other Nevada Department of Education (NDE) personnel. Nevada is currently revising its curriculum adoption framework.
NSSTA will also provide this document to districts, curriculum coordinators, and other stakeholders. Oregon and Washington are presenting the paper to stakeholders in their states. Additionally, the National Science Teachers Association (NSTA) has posted the paper and has endorsed the document. The California Science Teachers Association (CSTA) presented the white paper to both the California State Board of Education and the Instructional Quality Commission in November 2017.
The following organizations and individuals have reviewed and support the recommendations in the white paper:
- California Science Project
- Children Now
- California Curriculum and Instruction Steering Committee (CISC) – Science Subcommittee
- Helen Quinn, Chair, National Academy of Science’s Board on Science Education (2009 – 2014); Co-Chair, California Framework and Evaluation Criteria Committee for Science (2014 – 2015); and Professor of Particle Physics and Astrophysics, Emerita, at SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory
- K-12 Alliance @ WestEd
- National Science Teachers Association
- Nevada STEM Coalition
- Ten Strands
- If you would like to add your support for the recommendations, please contact Jessica Sawko (firstname.lastname@example.org).